Evidence shows diet is essential for maintaining good cognitive health, and can delay or even prevent diseases like Alzheimer’s. Feed your brain with a variety of healthy food, including protein, fruit, vegetables, healthy fats, dark chocolate and even red wine in moderation.
Here are some brain-boosting foods to try:
- Berries are high in antioxidants to fight brain inflammation.
- Wholegrains, such as oats and brown rice, feed the friendly gut bacteria which produce chemicals that may protect your brain.
- Oily fish and eggs are packed with omega 3 fatty acids, which protect against brain ageing and are important for memory and concentration.
- Green vegetables such as kale and spinach are packed with folate.
- Dark chocolate has beneficial effects on cognitive functioning and brain processing speed thanks for the flavanols in cocoa beans.
- Red wine has long been known to protect our brains. Choose an organic variety and no more than one glass a day.
- Drinking enough water can prevent brain fog. Drink eight to 10 glasses a day.
- Supplements including vitamins A and C, as well as vitamin E and B complex can boost energy production in the brain.
- Avoid excessive alcohol, smoking, processed foods and saturated fat, which heighten risk factors for stroke and dementia.